Vegan Macaroni And “Cheese” Pie With Savory Breadcrumb Topping vegetarian recipes for people.
Ingredients for Vegan Macaroni And “Cheese” Pie With Savory Breadcrumb Topping
1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons vegan margarine ( I like Organic Smart Balance)
3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
1 cup unsweetened soymilk (not plain soymilk. It needs to say unsweetened)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup vegetable broth (I like to use Organic Better Than Bouillon vegetable base-1tsp per 8oz water)
1/2 cup firm tofu, drained, pressed, and crumbled
1 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Bragg’s Amino Acids
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
sprinkle of paprika
1 cup or more – Arrowhead Mills Organic Savory Herb Stuffing
Vegan Macaroni And “Cheese” Pie With Savory Breadcrumb Topping, How to Make
* I like to use organic ingredients whenever I can. They are more expensive, but if you can swing it, it is well worth it. Better for you, better for the environment!
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Boil macaroni according to directions. Drain, rinse, and set aside.
2. Melt margarine in large saucepan over medium heat. Add diced onion and saute until translucent. While the onion is sauteeing, stir the lemon juice into the soymilk until it thickens up and curdles. Set aside.
3. In a blender, combine veggie broth, soymilk, tofu, nutritional yeast, dry mustard, turmeric, garlic powder, and Bragg’s amino acids. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
4. Add the flour to the onion and margarine and whisk until you have a smooth thick roux. Pour the blended mixture into the roux and whisk until smooth. Add the sea salt and pepper to taste and allow mixture to cook for a minute or two, turning the heat down a little if needed. Do not allow mixture to boil, just a low simmer. It will be thick and you don’t want it to overcook.
5. Combine the noodles with the sauce in a 2 quart casserole dish. Mix well and sprinkle the top with paprika. Cover the top with a generous layer of the stuffing(or just breadcrumbs). Bake on bottom rack of oven (4-6 inches away from bottom burners) for 20 minutes. Place on top rack and bake another 10 minutes, or until top is golden and bubbly. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Source of recipe: After making various versions of vegan mac and cheese over the years and experimenting with ingredients, this is my own final recipe and I think it is a great tasting, savory version that goes great with any meal, especially a Thanksgiving Tofurkey.
Additional info for Vegan Macaroni And “Cheese” Pie With Savory Breadcrumb Topping
Preparation time: 15 minutes, Cooking time: 20 – 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 – 30 minutes
Throw It Together Mexican Casserole-Vegetarian Recipes
Throw It Together Mexican Casserole vegetarian recipes for 1 people. Ingredients for Throw It Together Mexican Casserole 1 cup rice …
Root Vegetable Cobbler-Vegetarian Recipes
Root Vegetable Cobbler vegetarian recipes for 4-6 people. Ingredients for Root Vegetable Cobbler 1 medium-sized swede 3 large carrots 2 …
Poutine vegetarian recipes for 4 to 6 people. Ingredients for Poutine 4 to 5 medium potatoes, sliced garlic powder or …
Red, White, and Brown-Vegetarian Recipes
Red, White, and Brown vegetarian recipes for people. Ingredients for Red, White, and Brown 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil …
Pasta with Hummus Sauce-Vegetarian Recipes
Pasta with Hummus Sauce vegetarian recipes for 8 people. Ingredients for Pasta with Hummus Sauce 1 pound whole wheat pasta …