Delicious Brussels Sprouts and Mushrooms Au Gratin vegetarian recipes for 10 people.
Ingredients for Delicious Brussels Sprouts and Mushrooms Au Gratin
4 slices of veg bacon (I used Lightlife Smart Bacon)
1 large onion, chopped finely
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 ½ pounds Brussels sprouts
about 12 oz. sliced mushrooms (I used a bag of frozen shiitakes)
1 1/2 cups soy milk (I used Silk Enhanced with Omegas)
1 cup veggie broth (I used “No Chicken Broth” by Imagine Foods)
2 tablespoons vegan “butter” (I used Earth Balance Whipped)
5 tablespoons flour (I used whole wheat white flour)
3/4 cup vegan parmesan (I used vegan topping by Galaxy International Foods)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (I used this really good flavoured mustard I bought at the
thyme, paprika, salt, and pepper to taste
1 block vegan cheese, grated (I used Follow Your Heart mozzarella)
hickory smoke flavouring to taste
Delicious Brussels Sprouts and Mushrooms Au Gratin, How to Make
Preheat the oven to BROIL.
1. Cook the bacon according to package directions; try to get it crispy if you can. Cut the bacon into small pieces and set aside. If you want, you can also try using imitation bacon bits in place of this step. I used a combination of both and it worked very well.
2. Sautee the onion and garlic till transparent and fragrant. Place them evenly in a casserole dish. Set aside.
3. Trim and wash the sprouts and shrooms. Steam the sprouts over boiling water about 5 minutes. Cut them into quarters and place them in the casserole dish with the mushrooms and onions. If you are using fresh mushrooms, sautee them a bit before adding them to the dish.
4. Combine the soymilk and broth in a pot and simmer. At the same time, melt the “butter” in a pan and add the flour. Stir it around till the flour starts to darken, and then add it all to the milk mixture. Boil and stir till thick.
5. Stir in the vegan parm, mustard, herbs and seasonings, and hickory smoke. Pour evenly over the veggies in the casserole dish.
6) Add the bac’n and cover with cheeze.
7) Broil on the top rack in the oven about 10 minutes, or until the cheeze is melty and bubbly.
I experimented with a decidedly non-vegan recipe to make this, and it came out surprisingly great. If you don’t like Brussels sprouts, try them this way. You might be surprised! This will probably work well with other cruciferous veggies like cauliflower and broccoli, too.
Additional info for Delicious Brussels Sprouts and Mushrooms Au Gratin
Preparation time: about 45 minutes
Throw It Together Mexican Casserole-Vegetarian Recipes
Throw It Together Mexican Casserole vegetarian recipes for 1 people. Ingredients for Throw It Together Mexican Casserole 1 cup rice …
Root Vegetable Cobbler-Vegetarian Recipes
Root Vegetable Cobbler vegetarian recipes for 4-6 people. Ingredients for Root Vegetable Cobbler 1 medium-sized swede 3 large carrots 2 …
Poutine vegetarian recipes for 4 to 6 people. Ingredients for Poutine 4 to 5 medium potatoes, sliced garlic powder or …
Red, White, and Brown-Vegetarian Recipes
Red, White, and Brown vegetarian recipes for people. Ingredients for Red, White, and Brown 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil …
Pasta with Hummus Sauce-Vegetarian Recipes
Pasta with Hummus Sauce vegetarian recipes for 8 people. Ingredients for Pasta with Hummus Sauce 1 pound whole wheat pasta …