The Best Cheesy Mac in the WORLD vegetarian recipes for 4 to 8 people.
Ingredients for The Best Cheesy Mac in the WORLD
2 cups dry pasta, cooked according to package directions
2 cups cut broccoli, or your favorite green veg
2-3/4 cups boiling water – it must be boiling, so have it ready
1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies (I use Rotel)
3/4 cup textured vegetable protein (tvp) granules
1/2 cup water
optional spices for tvp: coriander, cumin, chili powder (to taste)
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup flour
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 to 2 teaspoons raw salt, to taste
pinch cayenne (optional)
1 cup nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
The Best Cheesy Mac in the WORLD, How to Make
Read through the instructions BEFORE beginning.
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside. Steam broccoli to al dente (don’t overcook!); drain and set aside. Bring water to a boil either in a teapot and measure out 2-3/4 cups when needed or add water to a pot with a tight-fitting lid (you don’t want to lose any water!) and bring to boil.
2. In a pot over medium-high heat, combine diced tomatoes and green chilies, tvp granules, 1/2 cup water, and spices if you choose; cook until al dente – about 5 minutes (don’t overcook… you don’t want soggy tvp!).
3. In a skillet over high heat, add margarine; melt. Whisk continuously while gradually adding in small amounts of flour. Whisk continuously while gradually adding boiling water (you want this to be smooth); whisk until the mixture returns to a simmer. Stir in soy sauce, garlic powder, salt, turmeric, paprika, and cayenne to the mixture.
4. Add tvp; continually whisk. (Yes, keep whisking. It’ll be over soon! And worth every second of whisking.) Add pasta and brocolli. (Be careful! At this point my skillet was nearly overflowing! Gently fold the broccoli and pasta into the goo. Oh, it’s a beautiful goo!)
5. Bake in pre-heated 375 degrees F oven for 8 minutes. Add nutritional yeast flakes to the top and cook a few more minutes. Watch so that it browns.. and remove from oven.
I know it seems a little tedious at first. But the more you make it, the easier it’ll get. Try not to burn your tongue! I like to serve this with tortilla chips and an ice cold beer. See, vegans indulge in the richer, finer things in life. Enjoy (guilt-free)!
Source of recipe: I got the original recipe from PETA. But I’ve changed it so many times.. made a few alterations here and there.. really, you can do whatever you like with this recipe and it’s wonderful. Make a mess. Have fun. Get in there. Read more of my recipes and see photos at my blog: http://bicyclingvegan.blogspot.com
Additional info for The Best Cheesy Mac in the WORLD
Preparation time: 15 minutes, Cooking time: less than an hour
Cooking Time: less than an hour
Serving: 4 to 8
Throw It Together Mexican Casserole-Vegetarian Recipes
Throw It Together Mexican Casserole vegetarian recipes for 1 people. Ingredients for Throw It Together Mexican Casserole 1 cup rice …
Root Vegetable Cobbler-Vegetarian Recipes
Root Vegetable Cobbler vegetarian recipes for 4-6 people. Ingredients for Root Vegetable Cobbler 1 medium-sized swede 3 large carrots 2 …
Poutine vegetarian recipes for 4 to 6 people. Ingredients for Poutine 4 to 5 medium potatoes, sliced garlic powder or …
Red, White, and Brown-Vegetarian Recipes
Red, White, and Brown vegetarian recipes for people. Ingredients for Red, White, and Brown 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil …
Pasta with Hummus Sauce-Vegetarian Recipes
Pasta with Hummus Sauce vegetarian recipes for 8 people. Ingredients for Pasta with Hummus Sauce 1 pound whole wheat pasta …