Chickpea Salad vegetarian recipes for 8 people.
Ingredients for Chickpea Salad
1 1/2 cups dried chickpeas (3 cups cooked) or 2 (15 ounce) cans
3 gypsy peppers (substitute green or red bell peppers)
1 small spring white onion, quartered and finely sliced
1 large heirloom tomato, finely cubed 1/2″
2 nantes carrots, cut to matchsticks 2″ long
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 sprig rosemary
1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil, as needed
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste
Chickpea Salad, How to Make
1. Soak chickpeas for about 4 hours; then simmer them in fresh water for about 2 hours. Tada! Creamy, delicious chickpeas, better than from any can.
2. Strain beans, making sure to reserve the liquid, and run cold water over them to stop them cooking and firm them up a little.
3. To roast peppers, place them on a naked burner, turning frequently, until the skin is mostly blackened and peeling. Put them in a bowl covered in plastic wrap to cool and steam the skin off.
4. When peppers are cool, rub off the skin, not using water, and dice the roasted pepper flesh. Toss beans, vegetables and rosemary together, then add olive oil, and red wine vinegar, salt and pepper.
5. Let it sit for at least 1 hour, to allow to vinegar to mellow the onions and garlic. Then, voila!
It is a delicious salad, and you are the envy of your family. Last night I had a family dinner, which is a fairly rare thing as my immediate family lives on the other side of the country. It wasn’t a super-fancy occasion, but when bringing a dish to a family dinner it’s an important thing to make it a little showy. This emphasizes one’s taste and discretion, and makes one appear to be a sophisticated grown-up person. Bear in mind that it will not keep your mom from correcting your grammar in front of everybody, but it’s still nice to show up bearing something that people will actually want to eat.
The bonus, of course, is that (if you do it right) you’ll have something that you’ll want to eat, which can be a lifesaver depending on the family. Anti-vegan or just plain bad cooks, the result is pretty much the same; you can only count on yourself. Don’t let you down.
Source of recipe: This is my own original recipe, first posted at Vegansaurus.
Additional info for Chickpea Salad
Preparation time: 6 hours, Cooking time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Pasta Fagioli-Vegetarian Recipe
Pasta Fagioli vegetarian recipes for people. Ingredients for Pasta Fagioli 6-8 cloves garlic, finely chopped or pressed 2 medium onions, …
Simply Great Black Beans & Rice-Vegetarian Recipe
Simply Great Black Beans & Rice vegetarian recipes for 2 people. Ingredients for Simply Great Black Beans & Rice 1 …
Black Beans and Saifun-Vegetarian Recipe
Black Beans and Saifun vegetarian recipes for people. Ingredients for Black Beans and Saifun 2 nests of saifun noodles (these …
Betsys Lentil and Couscous Curry-Vegetarian Recipe
Betsys Lentil and Couscous Curry vegetarian recipes for 4-6 people. Ingredients for Betsys Lentil and Couscous Curry 1 1/2 cup …
Quinoa Black Bean Salad-Vegetarian Recipe
Quinoa Black Bean Salad vegetarian recipes for people. Ingredients for Quinoa Black Bean Salad 1 cup quinoa 2 cups water …